Recent Kitchen Experimentation

On a whim, I bought a bunch of rhubarb at the farmer's market this weekend, figuring I could find a tasty recipe for it. I found a rustic rhubarb tart recipe at -- I made a few edits to their recipe, though. In the pastry, I used one whole egg instead of two yolks, and a flour mixture of 1 cup cornmeal and 1 1/2 cups flour. I didn't have any cream, so I just used 2% milk instead. In the compote, I added dash each of cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and a 1/2 oz of dark rum. Mixed in rest of rhubarb in pot (used 1/4 teaspoon vanilla instead of bean) during cooling stage. The rum was a bit overpowering in the end, though.

We're doing Italian this week, and I wanted to try making gnocchi again. The short story there is that I just added a potato ricer to the registry, but the long story involves finding a tip at to pan-sear the gnocchi instead of boiling them (this requires fresh gnocchi), and I just happened to have some duck fat handy for such a task. This was a Good Idea.